Wednesday, March 3, 2010

COWG Kente Workshop

This was really a big stretch for me considering how shy I am.  It took me 3 months to work out the draft for our type of loom.  Let me back up.

I spent the last 6 months working on a method to weave kente on our modern loom.  The traditional kente loom used in Ghana has a lot more wiggle room than our floor looms.  I worked out a draft that is really close to the traditional kente but I'm not quite there yet.  The cloth looks almost identical to the cloth I wove in Ghana except for some very small differences.  So I'm going to continue to work out the bugs.

I offered a two day workshop for the our local weaver's guild.  I had 19 in attendance.  I wasn't expecting that many.  I taught my modified kente techniques for the Jack style loom.  Many of the participants warped their looms with 20/2 cotton.  Only 3 tried the traditional 120/2. 

I will definately teach it again.  My only regret is that I didn't take any picture.  Some of the other guild members took picture so hopefully I can get copies for you to see.  I forget about the whole picture taking thing.  The purpose of me teaching the workshop was to get over my shyness.  I think I'm on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment