Monday, June 22, 2009

A Great Flight

I had a great flight. It was a 12 hour flight and I managed to get a lot of knitting done. I finished a pair of socks. I prefer 2 socks on 2 circular needles. I know me, if I don't do both of them at once, I'll move on to something else and not get them finished. I flew though the night so it would be day time when I arrived in Ghana.

As the pilot announced the decent into Accra, I began to feel a little sick to my stomach. I still did not have my VISA. Technically, they could ship me back back to the US and all my dreams would be shattered.

The airport was bigger than I expected. The plane landed and we exited outside. They herded us to a covered walkway. It reminded me of the plastic shelters seen at a state fair. The plastic held in the heat so it was steamy. It was like walking into a sauna. I quickly made my way to the building. Once you enter the building, there were 3 lines. One for residents, one for those who had VISAs and "VISAs on Arrival." I proceeded to the far left line, there were only 2 couples in front of me.

The security guard guided me to Room 3. I sat in this cramped, concrete walled room. It had one window that looked out onto the taxiway. I wondered, "what was I thinking?" Then I noticed the curtains were made of Kente Cloth. For some odd reason I felt comforted by its presence. After, the Immigrations Officer finished his call, he asked me why I was there. I told him to learn to weave Kente. He looked at me like I had two heads and granted me a VISA.

I rushed to the luggage claims area. I couldn't pick up my luggage until I had a VISA. I was afraid my luggage was not going to be there when I arrived. I pick up my luggage, grabbed one of the many taxis that were waiting and headed to my hotel.

I know you're getting tired of the ground work but, I thought it was necessary to share with you that this was not an easy trip. In order to become a Master Ashanti Weaver, I had to go back a second time. Have you every wanted something so bad you were "hell bent" on achieving it? If so, post a comment. Tell me what it was and how you overcame your obstacles. I think it will be inspiring for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment